420 Software Engineer

utekai

What's up, is it a new career path that will soon become all the rage?

As a sign of just how far the marijuana legalization movement has progressed one trendy public company mentions this new breed of software engineer that already works in their Information Technology Department, and others are being recruited, according to the formal company statement. They must be really promoting a cutting edge culture, emphasizing the new breed of engineer they have working for them, and state even "more than" just that type of engineer, inferring some other new types they don't even mention. But by the specific calling-out AmTrust Financial is really emphasizing this type, the 420 software engineer. Wow-sa!

Where does the company bring this up, where can you too read about it?

Where else but in their recent 2015 Annual Report and in the report's Executive Summary!

It's in the printed version in the glossy paged executive summary section (8 pages total with financial summary) just before the formal detailed report starts, on page 4 which is introduced with text on the company's "Forward Facing" stance. That page highlights the company's success with the statement, "It's the caliber of our people that accelerates our extraordinary momentum."

The company is AmTrust Financial.

If you're still wondering what's up, a company spokesperson, Executive Vice President and CIO Christopher Longo, is quoted just after the mention of '420 software engineers', as saying, "AmTrust is rapidly expanding in terms of products, size, scale and scope. We're anticipating and accommodating that growth by recruiting the kind of engineers who can help us seamlessly transition our newly acquired assets onto our distribution platform. At the same time we're constantly rebuilding our own software. We're making the complex simple. We're ensuring that, from an IT perspective, we never stand in the way of the company's growth trajectory."

Yes, that's very eloquently put, who wouldn't vape to that? And obviously a sign that this downtown Manhattan financial company makes it very clear they're embracing a new age, a green age of wisdom, cooperation and expansive thinking that goes a toke beyond the typical.

For a minute, I was wondering if they've started moving beyond niche insurance and into moving other newly legalized types of product through their networks, because of Mr. Longo's mention of "...the kind of engineers who can help us seamlessly transition our newly acquired assets onto our distribution platform...". Perhaps the Ecuadoran market is opening up exports?

I couldn't find mention of Snoop Dog anywhere in the report, but on page 43 in the Risks section of the report, they obscure their objectives a bit with the statement, "We are an insurance holding company and do not have any direct operations." Toke, inhale, toke, inhale ...

So since it's a public company, you can see that Mr. Longo earned $2.7 million in 2015 in total compensation, but the CEO earned nearly $14 million in 2015 and $22.1 million in 2014. Oh and the CEO holds over a billion in stock in the company and Longo has millions in stock too, so don't think this was in any way done carelessly.

Stock looks cheap at recent prices, symbol AFSI.

Last edited:

hd_rider

I'm a senior software engineer for my current company. But since they are about to be acquired by a larger competitor, my job is one of many that will most likely be eliminated after the merger completes later this year.

The merger is the kick-in-the-ass I needed to get me to move from one of the most repressive states in the nation to somewhere a little more liberal. So I'm in the process now of prepping my house for sale and will be listing it in mid-June.

I'll be packing and moving to the Colorado Springs area. I'll continue to work remotely for my current employer until the ax falls or I find other employment.

And my dream would be a "420 Software Engineer" with a major dispensary or growing operation (state-licensed of course). I don't really care what role I would play, just as long as it's primarily an IT role. But would also love to help out in other areas of the cannabis industry, such as growing. Heck, I think I'd even be happy starting out as a budtender!

Gunky

420 is probably just some sort of company-internal code for the position, nothing to do with marijuana. Or perhaps there are actually four hundred odd programmers...

Gunky,

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
That 420 software doesn't sound like that is what they are talking about.

Look into software companies like BioTrack THC software company. They track the cannabis from seed to plant.

CarolKing,
Top Bottom