2nd QWISO Attempt with ABV

sk

Slothing around
I see what you're saying. The reason why I think it could be a good step in the process is that if it's water cured, then you can soak the abv in the ISO for longer than normal, and therefore get more cannabinoids out of it without getting all the other unwanted solubles mixed in too.

I agree water curing is a mess and takes way too long, but tea curing it takes <5 mins with very noticeable results in the water clearness, so it might be worth it.

Obviously I am a complete noob at QWISO, and vaping for that matter, but maybe someone with more experience (and abv) could try it.

Bouldorado

@sk

I've done a water cure similar to what you described (hot water, 2-3 runs until water is clear). I let the abv dry (I used the oven I believe) and then did a QWISO run. The resulting oil was what I call sludge- looks like tar and tastes like shit. Every other abv QWISO run I've done (w/out water cure) turned out similarly, so I don't think a water cure actually does that much.

Tweak

T\/\/34|<
What % alcohol you guys using?

I can't find any Ethanol local, so I'm pondering ordering some 99% pure ISO and/or some Everclear. I think the 91% has more than just water + ISO that is adding to the taste.

Tweak,

darkrom

Great Scott!

I can't find any Ethanol local, so I'm pondering ordering some 99% pure ISO and/or some Everclear. I think the 91% has more than just water + ISO that is adding to the taste.

I use everclear. 95% alcohol 5% water I believe. Or 96/4. I don't have it in front of me. Its not toxic to drink, so I feel pretty comfortable if after my purge there is parts per million of something I could chug a shot of "safely".

Bouldorado

This MSDS suggests it's just ISO and water. I think I'll probably research the potential health effects of ISO before using it again though.

Bouldorado,
Reactions: 2clicker

smokum

I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!
I believe its the 87% and below that contains the lanolin (?) and better known as 'rubbing' alcohol.

smokum,

herbivore21

OK Been reading a lot and spending a lot of time on Youtube and the 2nd attempt has gone a lot better than the first.

I'll try and be thorough with my method.

List. (usual shit)

Around a 1/4 of decent bud turned into ABV
99% ISO (ebay)
Unbleached Coffee Filters
Small metal sieve
Jam jar + Lid
Pyrex plate
Pyrex jug.

Method

Freeze ISO & ABV for about 3-4 hours (I crushed up the ABV pestle and mortar style at the two hours mark.)

EDIT: Don't crush the weed!

ABV & ISO in jar with lid on

Swirl for 1 Minute with 5 second shakes every 15 seconds or so.

Dump contents into sieve on top of Pyrex jug with a coffee filter covering the top.

(I need to use a finer sieve or grind my ABV less as about a quarter//fifth of the material made in through into the filter)

I let that drain for about five minutes and then poured the mixture onto the pyrex plate

(The bits you can see are actually on the underside of the plate)

21if.jpg

I put that in a warm room with a 12" fan on low pointing at it. (I also turned the lights off, not that I think that should make any difference at all) It looked like this after about 2 hours.

ddzy.jpg

About four/five hours later the ISO had evaporated and once scraped up it looked like this.

ms4r.png

Only thing I forgot is some grease proof paper so had to use some metal foil. It's actually got a lovely rich honey brown colour and smells really hash-y.

It's a bit early in the evening to test it yet but I'll post back when I do.

EDIT: Gonna leave it til tomorrow to evap some more.
Your first picture there is what the 100% iso mixed with reclaimed resin from my glass vaping pieces looks like. I got so excited I have filtered the reclaim through unbleached coffee filters a few times and am evaporating it on a pyrex double boiler now (thank christ I have ceramic stove with plate warmer functions, can just put boiling water in one dish, put a smaller pyrex dish with the reclaim solution to evaporate, stick on ceramic stovetop of platewarming (extremely low) heat and watch 200ml of solution evaporate to nothing in about an hour (given the rate thus far seems to be 15 mins per 50ml)!

herbivore21,
Top Bottom