• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

1st vape, portable, pref. on-demand convection?

Hello FC! As the title suggests, I'm looking to buy my first vaporizer. I want a portable unit.

I'm very lightweight tolerance wise; usually I like to take a puff or two, then enjoy the effects for several hours, before possibly taking another hit. My smoking habits make me think an on-demand convection unit would be the best choice.

My use of the unit would be split perhaps 50/50 between at home, and during various outdoors activities and cultural happenings.

Due to where I live, discreetness is unfortunately somewhat required if I am to use the unit outside of the house. This limits the options, as many convection units seem to be rather bulky.

Some additional points to consider: I live in Europe, so certain models might be hard to acquire. Also, were the unit to require maintenance by the manufacturer, there is a significant risk it wouldn't make it back through the postal service, unless it could be thoroughly scrubbed / soaked in a solvent bath. I'll mostly be using the unit by myself, or with one other person, maybe two at max. I'd prefer a wide temperature range to be able to vaporize different kinds of plants, but lack of this is by no means a deal breaker.

Some units I've considered:

Grasshopper

Obviously this unit fits pretty much all my needs. I'm just worried about the reliability, especially since a warranty process might mean losing the unit. If the reliability is better with the newer units, this could be a good choice. (I already chimed in at the grasshopper thread but couldn't figure out whether the risk of failure is too big.)

Firefly 2

This model is obviously less discreet, but still pretty portable. I hear a lot of praise for the vapor quality. Downsides would be the need to stir the bowl often, which can be impossible to do in a stealthy manner, and the difficulty of stowing the unit with a filled bowl without the herb spilling. Also seems to be a little finicky and more prone to failure than some other models, even if less so than the hopper. Quite expensive as well. I don't mind the infamous learning curve, if anything it makes me more interested in the firefly. I like fiddling and optimizing.

Flowermate Swift Pro / Boundless CFV

This one seems to be a pretty good option as well, but is a little on the chunky side. Not very discreet. Lacks user changeable batteries. Not a fan of the plastic design.

Venus Apollo

The Apollo would be easier to acquire than some American models. I really like the aesthetics and design of the unit, but it seems to be more like an at-home portable than one I'd like to actually carry around.

Any help with choosing the right vaporizer would be greatly appreciated! I'm open to all suggestions. I'm so ready to fuck combustion.

Frostflower,

yogoshio

Annoying Libertarian
The stirring of the FF2 is not as rigorous or as often as it sounds. Especially with your 1-2 puffs and good tolerance level. Also, if you don't pack (which IME isn't helpful anyway), just tapping it on your thigh is enough to do the trick. I haven't had any issues with mine since purchasing last November, and while there is a learning curve, it's nothing a few reads through the FF2 thread couldn't do. Also, I've kept it fully packed in a side pocket, back pocket, purse (the wife's, I promise!), briefcase, cargo pants pockets, etc., and it has never once opened up on me.

I've also used the Flowermate. Good unit. However, it is much more of a hybrid than just convection. You'll waste more material IMO. It's a great vape, but not as efficient by a long shot.

yogoshio

Annoying Libertarian
Any vaporizer is going to be a million times more discrete than smoking, even some of the bigger portables.
Amen to that. I've used my FF2 in my parents house and they had no idea. I've used it in public as well, and no one has ever given me a second glance. It actually looks like it could be a type of medical device. Many airborne medications have specialized devices that could be confused for a vape. It could even explain the vapor! ;)

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
I can say that the Grasshopper cleans easily and doesn't get very dirty in the first place. You should have no problems with customs due to it being smelly, as long as you clean it thoroughly, which is actually a quick process.

The hopper's reliability is definitely questionable although it has seemed to increase quite a bit lately. That is just speculation based on anecdotal evidence, so take it with a grain of salt.

What about butane vapes? They aren't quite as discreet as electronic vapes because of the torch, but they are usually very fast and you can just duck around a corner and take a hit. And butane torch powered vapes have very little issues as far as reliability.

Sticky Brick Junior is pure convection, but a little big, although it does fit in a pocket. It produces vapor nearly instantly, no heat up required. The Junior can produce amazing flavor and huge hits that rival my Evo. It has glass parts but they are very thick and inexpensive to replace if necessary. It has a large chamber which is great for group use. It can also be used with small loads. Or, my favorite way is large loads consumed one or two hits every couple of hours. That's exactly how I used to smoke, just like you. Because it's pure on-demand convection you don't have to worry about wasting any goodies when using it like this.

The VapCap is a lot smaller, smaller than the Grasshopper even. The M is basically indestructible and anything that could break is user-replaceable. It heats up very quick, in about the same time as a Grasshopper or maybe a little longer depending on torch and technique. It isn't pure convection, but it is on-demand and doesn't waste your material like other hybrid conduction vapes. It hits pretty hard but is not the best for group use because they have a small chamber. You could always buy a couple, they are inexpensive. They are also very efficient with your material and work great for micro-dosing/small loads.

The Milaana and Tubo Evic might also be good choices but I have no personal experience with them yet.

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
For a light user like you, the FW4 or the MistVape Touch. The FW4 is smaller and partly regulated (less learning curve) but might be slightly harder to clean. The MVT uses stems and never will get dirty (only the stems will) The Milaana would be a waste of power for your usage pattern, not efficient enough.

The SwiftPro is actually very discreet in use, only the angled mouthpiece sticks out when you hold it. I've been surprised by how little looks it attracts when I use it in the street. The battery life should not be a problem if you really just take a few hits there and there, but for a daily driver it's very limited. It's also not really "on demand".

Forget flame powered vapes if you live under prohibition, they attract cops from kilometers away!

EDIT: Apolo and FF2 are fine too from what I've read, but do they really qualify as "on demand"?

Last edited:

little maggie

What about the tubo? It's battery operated and similar to the MVT but it's regulated. It comes from England so it might be more easily available than some. I just showed it to a friend who loved the colors and design more than any of my other wood vapes. You can choose the inside and outside colors. It's not that small but is about the same size as the Mistvape.

little maggie,

Prolusio

What about the tubo? It's battery operated and similar to the MVT but it's regulated. It comes from England so it might be more easily available than some.

Totally agree, the Tubo is an excellent vape to consider! Regulated on demand/session hybrid, that you get to customize, and has consistent firmware updates to enhance usability?! Heck yes.

I believe it comes from Switzerland though, according to my tracking at least.

Mr. Me2

If you're not in a rush, the MV-1 from Ghost, a U.K. company is on the horizon. It looks like a winner!

Mr. Me2,

CarboxylicAcid

I'm gonna second the Firewood 4. I was in a similar situation as you: low tolerance, a few hits gets me where I like, wanted something discreet. The FW is really small and easy to use, and gets damn good vapor with a little practice. Looks like a regular box mod, just made of wood.

Wow, so many informative replies! Seems like my shortlist is actually just growing longer...

The Tubo looks interesting, though a little chunky.

Any vaporizer is going to be a million times more discrete than smoking, even some of the bigger portables.

I suppose you are right. A well rolled joint does look like smoking a cigarette though, the smell being the only concern, but I've found most people here don't recognize the smell, and those who do usually don't care. Still, I suppose even a bigger unit could be passed off as an e-cig mod.

What about butane vapes?

I actually looked at the vapcap, and might consider it as a second unit, but for my primary one I'd like to avoid messing with lighters. Not as discreet, and I'd just rather not handle fire if not necessary.

Apolo and FF2 are fine too from what I've read, but do they really qualify as "on demand"?

I suppose the Apollo is not really on-demand, but the new heating element cuts the heat up time significantly. As for the FF2, the super fast heat up and convection heating to me seem to make it quite good for hit-and-run type vaporizing, the only problem being the rather long draw required. If this is not "on-demand", I must've misunderstood the term.

To everyone recommending the Firewood. It certainly looks like an interesting unit. I couldn't find any shipping information on their website, but I guess it ships from USA? I'd rather buy something from the EU, the customs can be a pain even besides the gray area nature of vaporizers, and certainly increase the price I'd have to pay for anything shipping from outside the EU.

At this rate I haven't decided on the model even by summer 2018 ;)

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
What about the Milaana? It takes some practice but not too difficult. The Mi hits like a desk top IMO.

The Grasshopper would be great if you get one without flaws. Some people actually do. I like using mine with a water tube - it's awesome.

Last edited:

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
@CarolKing: OP said he/she's a lightweight needing only a couple of puffs there and there. The MistVape Touch and the FW4 are IMHO better choices in that case, they are way more battery efficient (i.e. more sessions when using the same cell)

The Milaana is a hard hitter but if you don't use watertools it's overkill and inefficient. I get 3 sessions per cell on my Mi vs 6 on the MVT (with same cell, same bowl/stem size)

For dry hit usage, there's not much difference in vapor output.

KeroZen,

little maggie

If you check the tubo thread you'll see that there are no negative comments and no reliability issues as opposed to the grasshopper. It does come from Switzerland not England. And it works both as a session and an ondemand vape. One advantage for someone with low tolerance is that you can set the software to fit your smoking interests- you can keep it at a low heat setting if you want. It's not tiny but my friends who don't vape have no idea what it is when they visit.
The advantage of the tubo over the milaana and mistvape is that it is regulated. The next mistvape might have that and the zion is the regulated vape made by the same person who made the milaana.
I had an earlier firewood and gave it away. I just don't like the small containers that the firewood I had and the haze use. I don't know about the fw 4. But you might like that system. Neither the boundless or flowermates are on demand which for someone who only takes a few hits is a waste of herb even if you turn them right off.

little maggie,
Reactions: Vapor_Eyes
I find myself drawn more and more towards the Tubo. But. There is always the but.

The protruding glass mouthpiece is slightly worrisome. I'm going to be bringing the vape to hikes etc. and don't feel too safe about glass. It's going to break at some point. The overall build of the unit doesn't strike me as rugged either, though to be fair it's impossible to judge by photos alone.

And the discreetness. I don't really care about at home use. At home I could have a red-green-and-yellow leaf shaped vape for all I care. But when I'm out and about, I have to be able to pocket or otherwise hide the vape. The Tubo just doesn't look like it is easy enough to conceal. It also looks very much like a device (well it is one, duh), I mean it is striking in a way, grabs attention. This would greatly limit where I could take it. Though I don't know if any device on my list, save for the hopper, is much better in this regard.

If I'm not mistaken, I would have to pay taxes and customs duties for import from Switzerland, which for an item in this price range would bump the price up at least 100€.

Still, performance wise the Tubo seems to be everything I want.

Frostflower,

little maggie

I find myself drawn more and more towards the Tubo. But. There is always the but.

The protruding glass mouthpiece is slightly worrisome. I'm going to be bringing the vape to hikes etc. and don't feel too safe about glass. It's going to break at some point. The overall build of the unit doesn't strike me as rugged either, though to be fair it's impossible to judge by photos alone.

And the discreetness. I don't really care about at home use. At home I could have a red-green-and-yellow leaf shaped vape for all I care. But when I'm out and about, I have to be able to pocket or otherwise hide the vape. The Tubo just doesn't look like it is easy enough to conceal. It also looks very much like a device (well it is one, duh), I mean it is striking in a way, grabs attention. This would greatly limit where I could take it. Though I don't know if any device on my list, save for the hopper, is much better in this regard.

If I'm not mistaken, I would have to pay taxes and customs duties for import from Switzerland, which for an item in this price range would bump the price up at least 100€.

Still, performance wise the Tubo seems to be everything I want.
Why not ask funky junky about taxes and duties. I don't think there were any to the US but I don't know about your country. I got mine out to look at the mouthpiece. Are you talking about the glass that the stem is inserted into? Mine is recessed and doesn't protrude. I think that people have dropped them without problem but you'd get more accurate feedback if you asked on the tubo thread. It is noticeable and I think the colors you choose do make it stand out in different ways. I'm jealous of the all black one someone posted. But as I said somewhere, none of my friends who visit have no idea what it's for.

little maggie,

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
I know it's old school, but you also may want to consider the MFLB.
It's portable and provides on-demand hits.

I'm talking about the stem. Internal glass parts don't worry me, not as much anyway.

The customs here are very strict, and really a pain to deal with even with totally everyday merchandise. The only way to avoid duties is if the package slips by unnoticed, which will most likely not happen.

I've actually looked at the MFLB a couple of years ago, but decided it was not the kind of vape I wanted. Battery life is an issue, and the operation just seems a little too, how to say it, finicky? Actually FC is the first place I've seen anyone recommend the MFLB, where I live many people say it's better to go without a vape than spend money on it.

Frostflower,

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
I've actually looked at the MFLB a couple of years ago, but decided it was not the kind of vape I wanted. Battery life is an issue, and the operation just seems a little too, how to say it, finicky? Actually FC is the first place I've seen anyone recommend the MFLB, where I live many people say it's better to go without a vape than spend money on it.

Ha! That's hilarious. It definitely has a technique you need to figure out, but it is a workhorse once you get the hang of it. I rarely use mine anymore, since I have acquired many others, but it was my first step in the vapor world, so I will always have an affinity for it. The battery life is as long as you want it to be, as long as you have a handful of charged batteries nearby. I won't push it on you since there are so many others out there, but it definitely checks a few of the boxes you were looking for which is why I wanted to at least throw it out there.

ZC

FW4 seems like a good fit. If not, the the grasshopper. I prefer the FW4 personally because of the discreet capsule system, better battery life, and its not hot on your lips and throat like the hopper. But otherwise I find them to perform pretty similarly.

Or, the faithful vapcap seems to keep almost anyone happy.

little maggie

I'm talking about the stem. Internal glass parts don't worry me, not as much anyway.

The customs here are very strict, and really a pain to deal with even with totally everyday merchandise. The only way to avoid duties is if the package slips by unnoticed, which will most likely not happen.

If the glass stem is the issue you can get a wood stem from Alan. I bought one from him that is 18mm on one side and 14 on the other so I can use it with the MVT and tubo or milaana The whip that comes with the tubo is not glass and it works well with the wood stem.
I also have several vapcaps which I use less since I got the tubo but they are small and about the size of a pencil.

Squiby

The Vapcaps made by Dynavap are wonderful simple vaporizers that are beautifully engineered. They handle dry bud or concentrates, dry or with water tools. They are rugged and built to last a lifetime. There are no batteries or cords to to fuss with, charge, rotate, organize or replace. They are heated externally by just about any heat source. Bic lighters, jet lighters, candles, campfire sticks, stove elements, induction heaters etc. They have a heat sensitive cap that fits over your herb chamber. The cap clicks when it is at toking temps and that can take as little as 3-4 seconds using a small quad jet lighter. You heat, then toke. Only pure fresh heated air and vapor is in the airpath.

Vapcaps are the size and shape of a regular or kingsized cigarette depending on the model you choose. They are without a doubt the most attractive portable vapes on the market. The build is modular so you can switch up the components to achieve a custom look. The accessory Dynastash holds both your Vapcap and herb and fits in a pocket.

The Vapcap is very affordable and there are several models to choose from. $50 for the entry level M. $80+ for the Ti Woody models and $160+ for the top of the line indestructible all titanium Omnivap.

The Vapcap is my favorite vape by far. Simple, efficient, tiny and reliable.

Check out the thread and the Vapcap website.

https://www.dynavap.com

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/dynavap-vapcap.18853/page-652

Top Bottom