1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

18650 battery safety (moved from the the DAVINCI IQ thread)

Discussion in 'Vapor Related Equipment' started by canalguyopen, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Dig

Dig New Member

Greetings everyone,I have just purchased my first dry herb vape,the davinci IQ and feel a concern regarding battery proximity to oven,the battery as supplied,no branding states: do not exceed 212F ,ok and the unit begins to operate as we would expect at 350F! and travels unto 430F with millimetres only between the oven and the battery!!,now I am not a chemist scientist electrician not a technical minded man so it is my intuition that calls me to alert,what sort of insulation can at the aforementioned proximity keep the battery below 212F? and after use it is impossible to remove the battery as everything has expanded,..seems marginal..like at the edge of the cliff

2. McBubbs

McBubbs New Member

So what I do to avoid possible risk of meltdown in my IQ is to rotate through multiple 18650 batteries. At the 1st or 2nd heat levels it's not too bad, but when I'm at level 3 or 4 once the ten minute timer shuts her off I pull the battery, set it off to the side to cool, and put another one in. My IQ came with a Sanyo NCR18650GA 3500mAh battery, and for spares I'm using some LG HE2 2500mAh ones. They are available for about $6 each or less. I never charge the battery using the internal IQ charger, takes way too long for me. I use an external 4 bay Lithium Ion charger than can charge four 18650s at 1A each (or 2 at 2A each).

Bonus of having 5 batteries is I can go out and have extended sessions with friends without having to worry about charge levels. Also by not cooking the batteries at high levels for several consecutive sessions that should maximize battery performance over the longer term.

3. McBubbs

McBubbs New Member

If your battery cannot be easily removed from your IQ after use I would contact DaVinci support, my batteries always slide out easily once the door is opened. Might be something wrong with your particular unit.

4. FrogDR

FrogDR Well-Known Member

Hello gusy. I have Da Vinci IQ from couple days and it`s have been very hot to me :/ Is there a chance to breake the temperature down using some specific model of battery ? In this thread someone saids that Samsung 25R is a safety choice...Using this battery temp. will be lower or same when using orginal battery ?
    I don`t give a f.... of capacity. I need to cool down this thing ! :/

EDIT. I found some information on other sites " For example, the LG HB6 is rated for 30A continuous and can easily be used at 40A. It is the lowest temperature battery vapers can buy. This seems like the perfect choice! But, the tradeoff you have to make for this high current rating and low running temperature is capacity. The HB6 only has a capacity of 1500mAh. This means that you will be changing batteries a lot more often than if you used higher capacity batteries."
    So the LG HB6 is gonna be be the coolest battery for Da Vinci IQ ?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  5. KeroZen

KeroZen Chronic vapaholic

It's hot becaue the unit is small and contains a heater running at close to 200°C. Heat has to go somewhere and the entire shell becomes a sink. If you want your device to run cooler, lower the set temperature.

just_the_flu likes this.
  6. OldNewbie

OldNewbie Well-Known Member

"Once the door is opened" is the issue. My door also does not fully open when the unit is hot. If you want to remove the battery from mine after a session (which I do), you have to remove the flavor chamber first; then the battery door will fully open.

7. FrogDR

FrogDR Well-Known Member

But it`s hot even when i`m using first of the four sets of temp. Ofcours not immediately but after a couple of minutes. After some minutes i can`t grab this vape and hold tight for long time because is too hot :/

8. OldNewbie

It might be better to go back to the IQ thread. But, "too hot" is a relative term. My wife can grab things right out of the oven with nary a peep. I put on a silicone glove and use tongs. Each of us has some level of tolerance as to when something is uncomfortably hot. I find if I put the vape down in a session and do something else for a minute, when I pick it up again, it sure seems hot. Uncomfortably so. If I keep it in my hand the whole time, not so much.

As @KeroZen implied, it's a hot vape.

KeroZen likes this.
  9. Davinci_vaporizer

Davinci_vaporizer Well-Known Member Manufacturer

You are correct here, if you keep it in your hand the entire time, the heat is dissipating in your hand, therefore relieving some of the heat. Not only that, but you tend to use it....hence forcing airflow through the vape and once again cooling it.

@OldNewbie - have you tried to push down the flavor chamber before opening the battery door? I know that some units are more finicky than others, but this seems to do the trick.

10. FrogDR

FrogDR Well-Known Member

I realize that is a realtive term.... Before IQ i have ASCENT and it was a little hot but I was able to hold him all the time. With IQ i`m holding it all the time but after couple a minutes (i dont know aby ~10) i can`t hold him tight and i must turn it into my hand :/ I see on onther pages that some people put in battery with high Amp 30A like LG HB6, maby This may help, though

11. OldNewbie

The metal clip at the top of the chamber (mostly between the flavor chamber and battery) popped off fairly quickly after I got the vape. I popped it back on and haven't really had a problem with anything so I thought nothing more of it. If that holds down the flavor chamber, it makes sense the door issue might be resolved with a push rather than a removal. I'll check once I get off my "sabbatical".

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors