12v powered vape? Need input

acohen5769

What's up FC! I've heard of this site but never registered before. I'm currently in the planning process of building a vape that is powered by a vehicles 12v outlet, and am having some trouble making my design feasable.

I'm by no means an electronics expert, most of my knowledge of dc circuitry comes from hours of scouring google.

What It needs to be able to do
Vaporize e-liquid
Accomodate tanks or RDA's with a specified minimum coil resistance
Maximum output of 100w
Maximum 15A current (limited by the car's dc port 15a rating)
Variable wattage with LCD display (either by altering resistance or voltage)
Potentiometer with +/- buttons instead of a typical turn knob.

How I plan on doing it
I was thinking of using a buck converter that's variable from 1.8v-7v ($10-$12 on ebay), however they only seem to come with analog potentiometers. To compensate for this, I would need to use some sort of PIC, maybe an 8051? With that I could program it to integrate buttons for +/- regulation.

Biggest issues
For the sake of ease, let's assume we'll only use Atlantis coils, which are rated at 0.5ohms. Based on my parameters of a 15a max current, that's a maximum voltage of 7.5v = 112w. Where I'm having most of my trouble is understanding how to integrate a PIC to be used as a potentiometer, with a very low current rating (10's of mA) into a curcuit that will end up producing 100w. The buck converter I've looked at has a max rating of 15a which is perfect, but again, I don't want to have to use an analog potentiometer.

I've read that integrating a MOSFET will allow the use of the low current PIC to send signal to the gate, but where can I find a MOSFET that can handle 15a and a gate that's triggered by varying voltage outputs??

Any help you guys can lend would be awesome! I'm very new to circuity and especially PIC's

acohen5769,

funkyjunky

www.lamart.ch
Manufacturer
look into pulse width modulation. mosfets like irf830 or irf520, check for similar products and your specifications,are able to do what you want. you also might want to isolate.with an.optocooupler. for small currents there is also the option of digital potentiometers. hf :)

edit: sorry was on phone

here some mosfets that you could use: IRFZ48VPBF,IRFB3256PBF
im no electrical engineer btw!

Last edited:
funkyjunky,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
@acohen5769 - i use a PIC12F683 to control a MOSFET that powers a Nichrome wire coil, that is also 0.5 ohm. i use a voltage regulator that allows 5v to 20v input and drives the PIC, MOSFET, and temperature sensor with 4.5vdc. i generally use two 3.2v batteries in series (6.4v total), but 12v also works fine for me.

my vape is temperature controlled, rather than power controlled - i.e. set a temperature and PIC maintains that temp +/- 1 degree F. there is a +5 and a -4 button to adjust setpoint temperature. digital temp display using a BBQ thermometer.

my MOSFET is Fairchild FDB8832 - max ratings: 30v, 80A, 2.1 milliohm

thread is referenced in my signature.

Last edited:
Hippie Dickie,
Top Bottom