100% Decarb With The NOVA

Frank_S

Yeah, it's waiting for me at home! Somehow my address got dropped off the shipping. Emailed Shanel about it and although she never responded, I saw within 2 hours the FedEx status was updated. Maybe not perfect, but great cs in my opinion!

Has anyone tried fresh or uncured in their Nova yet?
Good show. Hope ya like it as much as I do. I plan on trying fresh cut, and dry uncured when the girl gets chopped. I believe the only difference will be the flavor of finished product will not be as good with the fresh dried I will find out eventually.

Hobbess

Relaxed

My Nova came in this morning, sitting on the steps as I went to work at 6:30 am, no signature required.

17 days from date of order, including 3 days stuck in customs at the Canadian border. US customers could expect delivery to be a couple days quicker.

Comes in a medium size box, well packaged for the trip. Inside is a circular box like an Ice Cream container but not tapered. Very classy, a nice touch.

Emails every step of the way, delivered as advertised. A good experience.

I'll run the Nova with a couple of varieties tonight, one Volcano bag with a non decarbed bud and the next bag with a decarbed bud of the same variety. It's like having a little lab, lots of fun. :-)

I'll post results as the night goes on.

Hobbess

Relaxed

Foul Odor

Does anyone with the new silicon cap notice a foul odor coming from it? Very rank.

The odor transfers to the bud but I don't notice it when vaping. Most of my decarbed bud will be for capsules so the odor isn't a deal breaker, but it's disturbing. I can't see Ardent not noticing this during testing.

I'm a believer in metal on metal and I'm going to find something to replace the silicon (?) cap.

I tried some old bud in the Nova and it seems to do the job it describes, but the smell is unsettling.

A source for a capsule machine and capsules:

http://www.avivahealth.com/shop/products.asp?itemid=4675

Hobbess,

MonkeyTime

Foul Odor

Does anyone with the new silicon cap notice a foul odor coming from it? Very rank.

The odor transfers to the bud but I don't notice it when vaping. Most of my decarbed bud will be for capsules so the odor isn't a deal breaker, but it's disturbing. I can't see Ardent not noticing this during testing.

I'm a believer in metal on metal and I'm going to find something to replace the silicon (?) cap.

I tried some old bud in the Nova and it seems to do the job it describes, but the smell is unsettling.

A source for a capsule machine and capsules:

http://www.avivahealth.com/shop/products.asp?itemid=4675

Yes, mine has a very distinct smell, and it's nut pleasant.

I actually thought it was coming from the aluminum. I washed the cup and lid right away, and after, the silicone didn't seem to smell much, the cup however still did.

After running two small test batches, the smell is still there and in each it transferred to the bud. I do notice it, but this is uncured product with plenty of other unusual nasties.

I also noticed that the base unit smells the same, I attributed that to the aluminum liner?

MonkeyTime,

Hobbess

Relaxed

I'm sure that the smell goes the other way around, the silicon(?) cap is stinking up the whole unit.

I emailed Ardent about the odor, I'll see if they respond.

In the meantime I want to go with something metal to act as the cover, any ideas other than having one machined? I'll take measurements tonight, something metal the same size as the silicon cap would do the trick. Obviously.

Last edited:
Hobbess,

Frank_S

Not sure if my unit had this smell when I got it. I never noticed it. I have ran at least six cycles through it now and it does not smell foul at all just a good stink.

Hobbess

Relaxed

That's great Frank, what kind of inner lid do you have?

Anyone who is getting a stink should chime in here and give Ardent an email, so we can get some help solving this problem.

I'm not noticing any bad taste when vaporing, but there is a definite smell transfer from Nova to bud.

I'm noticing an increased spectrum of effects after hitting the bag (Vocano), a deeper stone that lasts longer. With the capsules it's hard to tell because I'm starting with a rather weak variety that I got from Bud Buddy in Canada over a month ago, I've got some stronger strains coming from my medical supplier in the next week or so.

I have high hopes for the Nova when I run it with more potent strains for filling capsules.

http://www.ardentcannabis.com/contact/

Last edited:
Hobbess,

Hobbess

Relaxed

I emailed Ardent yesterday and got a reply today at 9:30 am:

Hi Hobbess,

Thanks for your message and sorry there is an issue with your unit. Please try a quick soapy soak and wash of the cup and the cap and/or a run through the dishwasher. If there is still a smell please let me know and I will send you a new cup and lid.

As far as using something metal, I would definitely suggest to stick with the silicone - it prevents odor during the process and provides the required thermal insulation for the cycle to work properly. If you must experiment :) perhaps covering the top of the inner cup with aluminum foil and then placing a round thin clay stone on top of that (fully covering the inner cup as the silicone lid does) under the black lid may work.

Best,
Shanel

Can't ask for better than that.

blackie

Mine smells foul too. It was the first thing I noticed when I opened the box. The entire unit smells like it is off gassing. I am under 10 runs, but it still smells, but not as bad as when I first got it.

Msek

To assist customers lacking a manufacturing background enabling them to discern why the device is odiferously unsatisfactory; develop a batch wash process for the silicone parts before unit assembly?
=equals=
Happy customers, no returns for this reason, or time spent in email conversations to explain - just a thought.

taidgen

could someone please help me, i think my cap is defective. it says there is supposed to be a tight fit but there actually a lot of play when i put the cap on, the video shows the bottom being solid and mine is a circle with an X in the middle.

taidgen,

blackie

Mine cap is also like yours. It just sits on top of the metal container. I don't think there is supposed to be a tight fit.

I got results from decarboxylating with a 4oz mason jar inside the NOVA. Looks like it was able to decarboxylate all the THCa, but there was a little bit of CBDa unconverted.

Before:
Cannabinoids Mass (%)
THCa 5.2%
Δ9-THC 0.3%
THCV 0.5%
CBDa 8.7%
CBD 0.2%
CBN <LOQ
CBC 0.0%
CBG 0.4%
CBCa 0.2%

After:
Cannabinoids Mass (%)
THCa 0.0%
Δ9-THC 5.1%
THCV 0.0%
CBDa 1.6%
CBD 6.8%
CBN 0.0%
CBC 0.4%
CBG 0.1%
CBCa 0.1%

Gavmar

z7uqQ1Wh.jpg

blackie

It looks like there is no heating element on the bottom, and that foam stuff is insulation.

One temp sensor is at the bottom of the heating chamber, the other is between the heating element and the isolation.

My guess on the foul smell is the glue/adhesive used.

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
My guess on the foul smell is the glue/adhesive used.

and also the silicone-ish cover over the inner herb vessel. i have done several runs where i replaced the plastic cover with two layers of aluminum foil, with an air gap for insulation. only a tiny bit of smell now, probably as you suggest, from the glue/adhesive/insulation.

@Gavmar - thanks for that picture

i sure would like to see an all glass version of the Nova ...

Hobbess

Relaxed

Foul smell update

I washed and soaked the inner silicone cap for 3 hours and only dimmed the smell. The inner cup washed out clean after a few minutes, no smell. Be careful washing and drying the inner cup, there is a sharp edge on the inner lip that gives a nasty paper like cut.

I then boiled the inner cap in a baking soda solution for 30 minutes and still the smell was only dimmed.

I wrapped the inner cap in aluminum foil and ran a batch with 6 grams of a variety called Grizzly, from Hydropothecary in Canada. The smell still seeped through to the bud, but not as bad as before. The entire unit has to be washed clean to get rid of the smell transfer, but I will wait for my replacement cap before I put all the work into a thorough cleaning.

I emailed Ardent and asked for a replacement cap, I will post again when it comes in.

MonkeyTime

Foul smell update

I washed and soaked the inner silicone cap for 3 hours and only dimmed the smell. The inner cup washed out clean after a few minutes, no smell. Be careful washing and drying the inner cup, there is a sharp edge on the inner lip that gives a nasty paper like cut.

I then boiled the inner cap in a baking soda solution for 30 minutes and still the smell was only dimmed.

I wrapped the inner cap in aluminum foil and ran a batch with 6 grams of a variety called Grizzly, from Hydropothecary in Canada. The smell still seeped through to the bud, but not as bad as before. The entire unit has to be washed clean to get rid of the smell transfer, but I will wait for my replacement cap before I put all the work into a thorough cleaning.

I emailed Ardent and asked for a replacement cap, I will post again when it comes in.

I emailed this morning as well. I've tried a few things including running fresh peppermint and rosemary thru it. Nothing has helped much.

My next step was to soak it in vinegar, but I reconsidered and sent off an email.

AMiA

A Good Article On Drying And Curing

Drying and curing cannabis properly will yield the most THC-potent smoke. When dried and cured improperly, potency can diminish substantially. The level of THC in a plant is determined by its genetics. Proper drying and curing will keep the THC level as high as genetically possible. It does not increase potency.

A little background on what happens inside and outside the harvested drying plant will help you understand why proper drying and curing are so important to good quality dope. Drying evaporates most of the 70-75 percent water content in fresh marijuana. Drying also converts THC from its non-psychoactive crude acidic form to its psychoactive pH-neutral form. Once dry, THC-potent marijuana can be smoked and you will get high. Every THC molecule must shed their moisture content before they are fully psychoactive.

In other words fresh green marijuana will not be very potent.

When you cut a plant or plant part and hang it to dry, the transport of fluids within the plant continues, but at a slower rate. Stomata, small openings on leaf undersides, close soon after harvest and drying is slowed since little water vapor escapes. The natural plant processes slowly come to an end as the plant dries. The outer cells are the first to dry, but fluid still moves from internal cells to supply moisture to the dry outer cells.

When this process occurs properly, the plant dries evenly throughout. Removing leaves and large stems upon harvest speeds drying, however, moisture content within the “dried” buds, leaves and stems is most often uneven.

Quick drying also traps chlorophylls and other pigments, starch and nitrates within plant tissue, making it taste “green” burn unevenly and taste bad.
Taste and aroma improve when these pigments break down.

Slow even drying – where the humidity is similar inside and outside the foliage – allows enough time for the pigments to degrade. Hanging entire plants to dry allows this process to occur over time, about 3-4 weeks at 50-60 percent relative humidity and a temperature range of 60-70 degrees F. (15-21 degrees C.) The large outer leaves also form a protective sheath around buds. This protective foliage shields resin glands on buds from rupture and bruising. Removing large leaves and stems upon harvest saves time. This is what most growers do, because fresh supple leaves are easier to work with than dry leaves. When you are looking a manicuring 5 kilos, you make it as easy as possible! However, this process often causes uneven drying and keeps moisture inside the foliage.

This is why it is important to “cure” the “dry” marijuana.Curing lets the plants continue to dry slowly. The first week of curing affects potency in that it removes moisture within the bud evenly, so that virtually all the THC is psychoactive. Curing also allows buds to dry enough so that mold does not grow when it is stored. A well-cured bud will also burn with an even glow.Note: Rough handling and friction from fondling hands will bruise and knock off resin glands. Even with proper drying and curing, brutal handling of harvested marijuana will diminish THC content.

Curing

Even though the plants appear to be dry, they still contain moisture inside. This moisture affects taste and potency.

To remove this excess moisture, curing is necessary. Curing makes the bud uniformly dry and converts virtually all THC into its psychoactive form.

http://michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/...ng-and-curing/

Hobbess

Relaxed
Pardon my jumping in without reading all 300+ posts. I'm curious for vaping purposes, does using the nova do anything to improve the affect of properly cured and dried flower?

I took a quick run home on my supper hour to run a test with cured bud and decarbed bud of the same variety (decarbed last night).

I ran back to back bags on my Volcano. Normally I wouldnt feel any higher off the second bag right away, this time I definitely feel higher. My vocabulary seems cut in half.

I bought the Nova primarily to decarb bud for capsules, and its definitely doing the job there. I think its still up in the air for improving the vaporized high over cured bud - this cured bud is from a medical supplier in Canada, they seem to do a decent job of it.

Anyone else have an opinion. Definitely needs more testing.

Last edited:

Gavmar

Just done a 1h 47m decarb with the lift it is the first time I have used it does this look okay. Top is after decarb bottom before I have never decarbed herb before so I have no idea what it should look like.

xX0PCm4.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom