Noobie advice needed!

Gi'sGP

Hi, Noobie question here, and any advice would be much appreciated.
I bought a S&B Volcano (Classic) at a good price for a nearly new unit, from a guy I trust. It had had almost no use, and was well packed up.
I bought an eighth of weed from a local, previously reliable source known to and recommended by friends.
When I first used the Volcano, I started at temp level 5, then moved upwards, as I could only get a clear (colourless) vapour, with none of the expected flavour and a slightly acrid taste (like toasted nuts). No cloudy vapour. No relaxing effect. Even at full temperature, the output was clear and devoid of flavour / effect.
The lights are working, the fan is running and the heater seems to be working.
My immediate thought is that the Volcano rather than the weed (which looks good and smells wonderful) is not reaching the required temperatures.
The Volcano had previously been bought in 2021 and used just a couple of times, and was then boxed up in original packaging and stored before I bought it. It looks immaculate and clean. There is no registered warranty and no receipt, otherwise I could ask S&B to check and repair it.
I’ve opened it up, and it looks pristine inside. There is a post on Reddit about how to clean the bimetallic temperature controller with sandpaper, but I am reluctant to touch it unnecessarily as I am not sure this is the problem area and this part looks pretty delicate.
Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
I assume this is the only vaporiser you have access to... Can you try a different stash? I'm more suspicious of the material than the volcano. Disappointing weed can still look and smell good to the naked eye.

Cheebsy,
Reactions: cosimo

cosimo

Hi, Noobie question here, and any advice would be much appreciated.
I bought a S&B Volcano (Classic) at a good price for a nearly new unit, from a guy I trust. It had had almost no use, and was well packed up.
I bought an eighth of weed from a local, previously reliable source known to and recommended by friends.
When I first used the Volcano, I started at temp level 5, then moved upwards, as I could only get a clear (colourless) vapour, with none of the expected flavour and a slightly acrid taste (like toasted nuts). No cloudy vapour. No relaxing effect. Even at full temperature, the output was clear and devoid of flavour / effect.
The lights are working, the fan is running and the heater seems to be working.
My immediate thought is that the Volcano rather than the weed (which looks good and smells wonderful) is not reaching the required temperatures.
The Volcano had previously been bought in 2021 and used just a couple of times, and was then boxed up in original packaging and stored before I bought it. It looks immaculate and clean. There is no registered warranty and no receipt, otherwise I could ask S&B to check and repair it.
I’ve opened it up, and it looks pristine inside. There is a post on Reddit about how to clean the bimetallic temperature controller with sandpaper, but I am reluctant to touch it unnecessarily as I am not sure this is the problem area and this part looks pretty delicate.
Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.

3 options:
1. Damaged unit
2. Fake unit
3. Bad weed.

If it happens with any weed, Id try posting in the Volvano thread (https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/volcano.220/page-175#post-1789851) and include some pictures of the unit so other users can help you narrow down the issue.

cosimo,
Reactions: Cheebsy

Rodney

Are you making sure to leave it on until the orange light goes out?

so sorry to hear this is happening for you man

Rodney,
Reactions: Cheebsy

Gi'sGP

Thanks very much for the replies.

I had initially suspected a dodgy or counterfeit volcano, but now think that the problem is with the herb I bought (gorilla glue) since I then got hold of a small quantity of a different strain which the volcano vaporised beautifully.

Does anybody have pointers about how to make sure the herb that you are buying is good and will vaporise?

And would you expect your seller to take back and exchange a packet of herb that is no good in a vaporizer, or is it more a case of finding new dealer?
The guy who sold to me was recommended by a friend as reliable, but I'm not sure whether asking him to exchange it would be seen as taking the piss!

Gi'sGP,
Reactions: Rodney

Rodney

Thanks very much for the replies.

I had initially suspected a dodgy or counterfeit volcano, but now think that the problem is with the herb I bought (gorilla glue) since I then got hold of a small quantity of a different strain which the volcano vaporised beautifully.

Does anybody have pointers about how to make sure the herb that you are buying is good and will vaporise?

And would you expect your seller to take back and exchange a packet of herb that is no good in a vaporizer, or is it more a case of finding new dealer?
The guy who sold to me was recommended by a friend as reliable, but I'm not sure whether asking him to exchange it would be seen as taking the piss!

Mate am really sorry to be hearing this and can relate as had the same happen to me in the past and i personally know my weed guy so he took it back but most people will likely not take it back.

Best to buy just a small amount then buy a bigger amount so you don't waste money.

See I was told a few times "this weed is good" and "no one else is saying it is bad" and I just told the guy I would get another dealer.

Depends how well you know the guy, hope it works out man and be careful.

Top Bottom